The National Institutes of Health advises people who have restless legs syndrome to get adequate sleep in predictable patterns, have a relaxing sleep space and focus on activities such as massage and warm baths to soothe their muscles. Prescription medications can also help, but they can cause drowsiness in the daytime. Healthline adds that some prescription medications for restless legs syndrome can also be addictive.Know More
Healthline also recommends moving often and avoiding staying in one position too long. Bypassing caffeine, tobacco and alcohol is advised as they worsen the symptoms of restless legs syndrome. Vitamin supplements can also help but only after consulting with a doctor because of possible consequences from mixing them with other medications and the danger of vitamin overdose. Over-the-counter medicine, such as acetaminophen and ibuprofen, can help with moderate pain, but taking them for too long may cause severe side effects, such as ulcers.
Switching back and forth between warm and cool packs for muscles is also effective for some people, notes Healthline. Massaging muscles right before bedtime can also be helpful. A regular bedtime and sleep schedule--for example, a bath at the same time every night, a leg massage, getting into bed, reading for 30 minutes and waking at the same time--can also help counteract restless legs syndrome.Learn more about Conditions & Diseases
The cause of restless leg syndrome is not completely known, but many doctors believe it can be related to genetic factors, low iron levels in the brain or the result of various diseases. Restless leg syndrome, abbreviated as RLS, has also been shown to be a symptom of various diseases, including: peripheral neuropathy, chronic kidney failure or even diabetes.Full Answer >
According to Healthline, home remedies for restless leg syndrome include daily exercise, muscle relaxation exercises, nightly doses of apple cider vinegar tablets, warm Epsom salt baths and magnesium supplementation. Sufferers may also benefit from acupuncture treatments and herbal supplements such as valerian, kava and chamomile. When taken in moderation, over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medications such as acetaminophen may also help minimize symptoms.Full Answer >
Low iron levels in the body can lead to iron deficiency anemia, causing symptoms such as fatigue, headaches, dizziness, shortness of breath, pale skin, brittle nails, an inflamed tongue, restless legs syndrome and frequent infections, according to Mayo Clinic. The condition may cause cravings for non-nutritive substances, such as starch, and children often develop poor appetites.Full Answer >
Most cases of Down syndrome are not genetic, with only 1 percent of cases considered hereditary, according to the National Down Syndrome Society. The remaining 99 percent of cases are random. One of every 691 babies born yearly has the disease.Full Answer >