Q:

Is stainless steel hypoallergenic?

A:

Quick Answer

Nickel-free stainless steel is considered to be hypoallergenic. Though it may contain a small amount of nickel, surgical-grade stainless steel is also considered hypoallergenic for most people, according to the Mayo Clinic.

Know More

Full Answer

In order to avoid an allergic reaction to jewelry, consumers should purchase jewelry that is free of nickel. White gold and cobalt are other metals that might cause a reaction in people with nickel allergies. Safer choices include platinum, copper, titanium and stainless steel. Other safe metals for those with allergies are sterling silver and 14-karat and 18-karat yellow gold. Home test kits allow consumers to test jewelry for nickel.

Learn more about Allergies
Sources:

Related Questions

  • Q:

    How do I clean tarnished stainless steel cutlery?

    A:

    The most effective way to clean tarnished stainless steel cutlery is to soak it in a solution of hot water and ammonia. This two-hour process requires a bucket, hot water, soft towels, a microfiber cloth, latex gloves and a disposable filter mask.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    How can stainless steel wok be seasoned?

    A:

    A stainless steel wok should not be seasoned because it is not porous in the way that an iron or steel wok is. A steel or iron wok can be seasoned by using a heating and oil rub method that allows the pan to hold in the flavors that it cooks.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Do magnets stick to stainless steel?

    A:

    Magnets generally do stick to stainless steel, though exceptions to the rule can be found. Steel is composed mostly of iron, which is often naturally magnetic and can easily be magnetized. Magnetic stainless steel is usually ferritic, with a high iron content and molecular structure that supports a magnetic field.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    How do you make stainless steel cleaner?

    A:

    Make homemade stainless steel cleaner by filling a new spray bottle with undiluted distilled vinegar, according to About.com. Spray the stainless steel, and wipe the surface dry with a soft cloth. The vinegar removes any fingerprints from the surface and is an effective sanitizer.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore