Q:

Is Vaseline harmful if swallowed?

A:

MedlinePlus states that while Vaseline is considered non-toxic, swallowing large amounts of it can lead to symptoms such as abdominal pain, coughing, diarrhea, shortness of breath and irritation of the eyes, nose, throat and skin. If a person swallows Vaseline, it is best to contact poison control for further instructions.

In order to evaluate the situation fully, poison control needs to know the name of the product swallowed, the amount swallowed, the time the substance was swallowed, and the patient's age, weight and condition. If medical attention is needed, MedlinePlus states that potential treatments include activated charcoal, breathing support and intravenous fluids. Complete recovery is likely after swallowing Vaseline.

Sources:

  1. nlm.nih.gov

Is this answer helpful?

Similar Questions

  • Q:

    Is Vaseline harmful?

    A:

    According to About.com, petroleum jelly, which is found in Vaseline, contains polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons from unrefined petrolatum that are considered to be carcinogenic. While Vaseline contains this product, Dr. Alan Dattner of Huffington Post states that all the harmful ingredients are filtered out but may be found in imitation products.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What are the effects of stopping Cymbalta cold turkey?

    A:

    MedlinePlus states that suddenly stopping Cymbalta can lead to withdrawal symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, anxiety, dizziness, tiredness, headache, pain, irritability, difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep, sweating, nightmares, and burning, numbness or tingling in the hands or feet. To prevent these symptoms from occurring, the dose of Cymbalta is usually gradually decreased. Cymbalta should only be stopped under a doctor's direction.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What happens if you drink Windex?

    A:

    MedlinePlus states that drinking large amounts of Windex leads to window cleaner poisoning. A few of the common symptoms experienced after ingesting Windex or any glass cleaner include throat swelling, difficulty breathing, and abdominal pain. In the event someone should drink the cleaner, it is best that the local poison control be contacted immediately as well as emergency services.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What are the harmful effects of nitrogen oxide?

    A:

    Exposure to the two most common nitrogen oxides, nitric oxide and nitrogen dioxide, can cause death, decreased fertility and genetic mutations. Tissue swelling, headaches and dizziness are common side effects when exposed to high levels of nitrogen oxides. Studies show that repeated exposure can lead to scarring.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore