While no one knows precisely where the term "Yankee" and its abbreviated form "Yank" originated, both are used to describe Americans in general and northerners, especially New Englanders, specifically. Residents of countries throughout the world refer to Americans as Yankees.Know More
The song "Yankee Doodle Dandy" originated in England and was sung by both the British and early Americans, its lyrics changing as it made its way back and forth across the Atlantic Ocean during the late 17th and early 18th centuries, according to National Public Radio. The English used lyrics that made light of Americans, while the Americans changed the lyrics to poke fun at the British.
According to NationalGeographic.com, many Americans embrace the term Yankee in an affectionate way. Fans of the New York Yankees baseball team, for example, are proud of the name. Many southern Americans, however, find the term offensive, due to the South having attempted to secede from the Union during the Civil War.
Culturally, Yankees are considered white, elite and wealthy people, according to NationalGeographic.com. Former presidents George H. W. Bush, John F. Kennedy and Calvin Coolidge, all of whom were from New England states, were considered Yankees. In New England, the term usually refers specifically to residents of the state of Vermont.Learn more about US History
The term "Manifest Destiny" was first used in 1845 to reference the widespread belief that enterprising pioneers had a divine right to expand from the east coast to the west coast of the continental United States. Native American tribes impeding this grand destiny had to be addressed.Full Answer >
Twenty percent of Americans earn more than $100,000 per year at some point in their lifetime, notes Daily Mail.com. This proportion has more than doubled since 1979.Full Answer >
Americans moved to the West in the 1800s because people wanted to get a fresh start and wanted to be able to buy their own land, as well as to try new economic possibilities, such as farming and gold mining. It all began when President Thomas Jefferson bought the Louisiana Purchase in 1803 from the French government.Full Answer >
According to U.S. Census 2013 data, 1.68 percent of Americans over the age of 25 have a PhD. This equates to approximately 2.5 million people. People with professional degrees such as MD or DDS make up 1.48 percent of the U.S. population, making the total percent of Americans referred to as doctors equal to 3.16 percent.Full Answer >