Q:

What Is the active ingredient in Clorox bleach?

A:

Quick Answer

The active ingredient in Clorox bleach is sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl), a strong oxidizing agent used to clean, sanitize and disinfect surfaces and liquids, and to destroy pigments in stains and textiles. This is a powerful and potentially dangerous chemical which must be handled carefully.

Know More

Full Answer

At the concentrations found in household cleaners, sodium hypochlorite can cause extreme irritation and damage if it comes into contact with skin or eyes. Breathing the fumes can cause damage to the lungs and throat. Ingesting sodium hypochlorite can result in major damage to the mouth, throat and stomach, and can even cause death.

Additionally, when sodium hypochlorite comes into contact with an acid, chlorine gas is released. This is a very dangerous gas that can cause severe disability and death. When sodium hypochlorite is mixed with ammonia, toxic gases called chloramines are released. These gases can cause damage to skin and eyes and can critically damage lung tissue.

Learn more about Cleaning Products

Related Questions

  • Q:

    What is Clorox made of?

    A:

    According to the Clorox site, Clorox Regular Bleach is made of the following ingredients: water, sodium hypochlorite, sodium chloride, sodium carbonate, sodium chlorate, sodium hydroxide and sodium polyacrylate. Water is the base ingredient in Clorox Regular Bleach. Sodium hypochlorite is an active ingredient that helps to remove stains, clean, and whiten laundry.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Is Clorox bleach harmful to the skin?

    A:

    Clorox bleach is harmful to the skin. It is advised to wear a pair of gloves while using this product as it can cause skin irritation, rashes and discomfort.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    How do you disinfect with Clorox bleach?

    A:

    According to Clorox, wall surfaces and appliances can be disinfected with a solution of ? cup of Clorox bleach per 1 gallon of water. Wipe down the surfaces with the solution and allow it to stand for five minutes. Rinse the surfaces and allow them to air dry.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What are the dangers of Clorox bleach fumes?

    A:

    The most common symptoms of inhaling bleach fumes include coughing and irritation of the eyes, throat and nose. People with sensitivities to the chemicals in chlorine bleach may experience more intense symptoms after exposure.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore