Borax contains boric acid, a substance that is toxic to roaches. When a roach comes into contact with Borax, the powdery substance sticks to the insect's body. As the roach cleans itself, it ingests the powder and dies within a short period of time. Sprinkling a mixture of Borax and sugar in high roach traffic areas helps to attract multiple roaches because they are drawn to the sweet smell.Know More
When treating the entire home for roaches, Borax should be sprinkled on baseboards, countertops, inside cabinets and behind kitchen appliances. It is best to treat the areas at night because roaches tend to be more active in the dark. Boric acid is not considered toxic to humans, but it is still important to take safety precautions when sprinkling the powder to ensure that it is not inhaled.
Additional home remedies for roaches include catnip and diatomaceous earth. Catnip contains nepetalactone, a substance that is safe for humans and pets but toxic to roaches. Catnip can be sprinkled in high-traffic areas or mixed with warm water spray throughout the home. Diatomaceous earth is a powdery substance that is not toxic to humans. When applied to areas where roaches congregate, the insects ingest the powder and typically die within 48 hours.Learn more about Invasive Insects
Some natural ways to get rid of roaches include maintaining house cleanliness and killing the roaches with a hedge apple. The use of diatomaceous earth and a cockroach trap also help kill roaches naturally.Full Answer >
To get rid of roaches, apply sticky traps, clean the entire house, dry wet areas, and use boric acid to kill the remaining roaches. Roach bait can be used instead of boric acid, if desired.Full Answer >
To get rid of roaches, remove their food, water and shelter. The first step is to figure out where they are living in the house. Look for egg sacs, droppings and exoskeletons. If they are usually found in one specific area, their home is probably nearby.Full Answer >
When roaches invade a house, it's important to get rid of them as quickly as possible. These dirty insects damage books and wallpaper, snack on your food and spread germs to humans.Full Answer >