Are bougainvillea plants poisonous?
Credit: WillSelarep E+ Getty Images
Q:

Are bougainvillea plants poisonous?

A:

Quick Answer

The sap of a bougainvillea is mildly toxic, but the leaves are not. The thorns of a bougainvillea can prick the skin and cause dermatitis.

Know More

Full Answer

Ingesting enough of the bougainvillea sap can cause illness. Other hazards of the plant include prickly thorns sharp enough to tear through fabric. Because of the danger of scratches and cuts, this plant should not be used in play areas or near swimming pools. The plant can also cause allergic reactions that include itching, redness, swelling, blisters, rash, stinging, burning and skin sores. These plants are generally found in USDA hardiness zones 9 through 11. A Brazilian native, the bougainvillea is a perennial featuring showy flowers and bright leaves.

Learn More

Related Questions

  • Q:

    Are lilies poisonous to humans?

    A:

    According to SFGate, certain types of lilies are toxic to humans as well as animals, and should not be consumed under any circumstances. In some instances, consumption can land a person in the hospital or lead to death.

    Full Answer >
  • Q:

    Are rhubarb leaves poisonous?

    A:

    According to Medline Plus, rhubarb leaves are poisonous and contain oxalic acid and possibly anthraquinone glycosides. Rhubarb leaf poisoning comes from the leaves only; the stalk can be eaten.

    Full Answer >
  • Q:

    Are yucca plants poisonous?

    A:

    According to the ASPCA, yucca plants are not poisonous to humans, but they do contain compounds that make them toxic to horses, cats and dogs. The toxic compounds are called saponins.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are ficus plants poisonous?

    A:

    According to AboutKidsHealth, ficus plants can cause allergic skin reactions in humans but are not toxic if ingested. Skin symptoms include rashes, itching, redness and swelling of the skin. Ficus plants cause allergic reactions, as well as gastrointestinal symptoms in dogs, cats and horses, according to the Pet Poison Helpline.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore