The easiest way to get rid of burned and scorched odors in the kitchen is to pour 2 cups of vinegar into a small bowl and leave it sitting on the counter for a few hours. This helps to neutralize the smell. Grease droplets or stains are often the culprit of lingering odors.
The vinegar absorbs the odor in the air and neutralizes it. It does not matter what type is used, but some varieties have a strong smell on their own that might be a bit overpowering.
If the burned scent still lingers, a thorough kitchen cleaning may be needed. Wipe down any countertops or cabinets that may have grease droplets. For food that was burned in the microwave, such as popcorn, wipe out the unit with a sponge.