To clean mildew off painted walls, wear rubber gloves, then mix 3/4 cup bleach with 1 gallon of water, and apply to the surface with a soft brush. A nuisance and a potential hazard to the health of the whole family, mold forms quickly on damp walls, especially in areas of poor ventilation. According to Good Housekeeping, it is important to clean the surface at the first sign of mold growth.Know More
After applying the solution, let it stand for 15 minutes before rinsing the area again with clean water. It is important to thoroughly dry the area with a fan for about half an hour to make sure the surface is dry. If the stain reappears after a short time, the mold may be infesting the drywall, and it may have to be replaced. Once the mildew has been removed, it may be necessary to repaint the cleaned wall surface with a regular latex paint.
According to The Family Handyman, the key to stopping mold is to control dampness. Adding a dehumidifier in the home helps keep walls dry and limits the conditions that are favorable for mold development. Also, many new paints contain a chemical called mildewcide that effectively controls surface mold in damp rooms.Learn more about Cleaning
To clean mold off concrete basement walls, the homeowner must mix a solution of one part bleach to three or four parts of water and apply it to a scrub brush or a sponge to scrub away the mold. The cleaner must wear safety goggles to protect the eyes from getting splashed by the bleach, and rubber gloves are required to protect the skin and hands. Proper ventilation and a mask also help protect the homeowner from bleach fumes and mold particles that become airborne during the cleaning process.Full Answer >
Clean soap scum by applying a solution of dishwasher detergent and water to the shower walls and then scrubbing the walls with a nylon brush. Heavy buildups require a second application. The process takes about an hour.Full Answer >
To wash barn wood, spray it down with a mild bleach solution to discourage mold, then scrub the surface of the wood with a stiff brush and a solution of detergent and warm water. Power washing and sandblasting can also provide an effective method, but it might also damage the wood.Full Answer >
A common reason people wear rubber gloves while doing dishes is to protect the skin of the hands. Hot water and chemicals from dish soaps can dry out skin. Dermatologists recommend wearing gloves when working with cleaning products and water.Full Answer >