Spills of less than 10 gallons can be soaked up with an absorbent material, such as kitty litter, while larger spills must be handled by professional hazardous waste authorities, such as the fire department. Once the gas is absorbed, dispose of the material according to local rules for handling hazardous waste.Know More
Gasoline is a petroleum-based fuel used in everyday machines, such as cars and lawnmowers, that are powered with gas engines. It is not uncommon for a small amount of gasoline to spill when filling one of these machines. Spills of less than 10 gallons can easily be cleaned up with the right materials.
Stop the gasoline from spilling any further by closing the container or, if using a gas pump, shutting off the flow of gas. If the gas flow cannot be stopped, use a pan or some other container to catch the spilling gas.
Spread an absorbent material over the spill to soak up the liquid gas. Materials that can be used include kitty litter, sand, sawdust, straw, wood chips, ground corncobs and dirt. Companies also produce an absorbent pad that can be used to soak up gas spills. Allow the material to completely soak up the gas.
Use a broom and a bucket to sweep up the absorbent material with gas in it. The absorbent material can also be swept into barrels or onto a plastic sheet. Dispose of the collected material in a manner as directed by the local Pollution Control Agency.
To clean up a gas spill on a garage floor, soak up the fuel with rags, saturate the floor with citrus cleanser, scrub the floor, rinse it thoroughly, place the rags outside until the gasoline evaporates, and launder or discard them. This 45-minute process requires rubber gloves, rags, citrus cleanser, a scrub brush and hot water.Full Answer >
Gasoline can be effectively cleaned off of concrete with kitty litter to remove any excess oil still sitting on the surface, as well as a grease-cutting dish detergent to remove the stain. Kitty litter is made with an absorbent clay that soaks up liquids well. Stubborn or old gasoline stains may need more powerful products, such as trisodium phosphate, to completely remove them. You also need a broom, scrub brush, absorbent rags and cleaning gloves.Full Answer >
Fireplace ashes should be soaked in water before disposal to extinguish any remaining embers. Wear gloves and old clothes when removing ashes from the fireplace, as they can stain.Full Answer >
Onyx is a glossy, porous material that requires special handling and gentle cleaning. Remove dirt, grime and grease from onyx without damaging it. To clean your onyx surfaces with this technique, you need soft cloths, a towel, mild dish soap, warm water and stone cleaner. It takes roughly 15 minutes to clean the stone and six hours for the sealant to harden.Full Answer >