The difference between color-safe bleach and regular bleach is the active ingredients used in each formula. Regular bleach uses sodium hypochlorite, while color-safe bleach uses hydrogen peroxide, which is less aggressive.Know More
Regular bleach is more aggressive, but it can still be safely used on a variety of fabrics, according to Clorox. This includes polyester, cotton, nylon and acyrlic. Some fabrics that regular bleach should never be used on are leather, spandex, wool, silk, mohair and nonfast colors. Nonfast colors refer to fabrics that can become discolored by sodium hypochlorite.
While there are a small amount of colored fabrics that can be safely washed in regular bleach, many colored fabrics can be washed with color-safe bleach. In a study conducted by Clorox on its own color-safe bleach, Clorox2, more than 600 colored fabrics were washed with color-safe bleach, and just over 98 percent of them didn't lose their color. All the colored fabrics were labeled with the warning, “Do not bleach.”
Despite the successful study conducted with Clorox2, Clorox recommends that people wash their colored clothing only with detergent. Since there is at least a 2 percent chance that its color-safe bleach can still remove color from fabrics, Clorox recommends that customers don't wash any colored clothing with color-safe bleach if they are worried about the color being removed.Learn More
Bleach is relatively benign when ingested in small amounts, but large amounts can cause death. It can also cause serious damage if it makes contact with the eyes, and it can irritate skin.Full Answer >
Germicidal bleach is the first choice for disinfecting hard surfaces, according to Clorox. It is registered by the Environmental Protection Agency to kill Clostridium difficle spores, commonly known as c-difficle, a bacterial species that causes pseudomembranous colitis.Full Answer >
The most common symptoms of inhaling bleach fumes include coughing and irritation of the eyes, throat and nose. People with sensitivities to the chemicals in chlorine bleach may experience more intense symptoms after exposure.Full Answer >
Like most household bleach products, the active ingredient in Clorox bleach is sodium hypochlorite, a derivative of salt. Clorox bleach begins and ends its life as a mixture of salt and water.Full Answer >