Q:

Are ficus plants poisonous?

A:

According to AboutKidsHealth, ficus plants can cause allergic skin reactions in humans but are not toxic if ingested. Skin symptoms include rashes, itching, redness and swelling of the skin. Ficus plants cause allergic reactions, as well as gastrointestinal symptoms in dogs, cats and horses, according to the Pet Poison Helpline.

Signs of ficus toxicity or allergic reactions in animals include drooling, inflamed skin, vomiting and diarrhea. The toxic agent in ficus plants is a milk sap that is present in the leaves and stems. Allergy symptoms are treatable with antihistamines. It is important for pet owners to consult with a veterinarian if their animals display signs of intoxication to ensure prompt treatment.


Is this answer helpful?

Similar Questions

Explore