Q:

What happens if you drink bleach?

A:

The results of drinking bleach depend on several factors, including the concentration and amount of bleach ingested. Drinking a small amount of bleach diluted with water is not likely to cause harm. The EPA recommends adding eight drops of bleach to a gallon of water for disinfection in the event of a flood. However, drinking bleach directly from the bottle leads to burns in the esophagus and potential poisoning.

Household bleach is normally 5.25 percent sodium hypochlorite. Many household products containing bleach also include fragrances and impurities. Symptoms of sodium hypochlorite poisoning include pain in the mouth and throat from burns as well as a gagging sensation. Large amounts of bleach slow the heart rate and lower the blood pressure, resulting in chest pain. The individual may go into shock, experience delirium or slip into a coma.

If a person has swallowed bleach, observers should render first aid and call emergency services. Do not induce vomiting, as it exposes the esophagus and mouth to the chemical a second time. Individuals suffering from this type of poisoning should go to a hospital. Treatment at the hospital includes a feeding a tube through the nose to allow emptying of the stomach, endoscopy to determine the extent of the damage and the administration of IV fluids. Even when an individual has swallowed full-strength household bleach, the prognosis is generally good, especially with early intervention.


Is this answer helpful?

Similar Questions

  • Q:

    What happens if you mix Clorox bleach and Windex in a small amount?

    A:

    Mixing bleach and Windex releases toxic gases and produces toxic chemicals. S. C. Johnson & Sons, Inc. reports that one of the ingredients in Windex Original is ammonia. When ammonia and sodium hypochlorite, the primary ingredient in bleach are mixed, they produce chloramine vapor; there is also the potential for hydrazine formation. Experts recommend avoiding mixing these two solutions, even in small amounts.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What happens if you inhale ammonia with bleach?

    A:

    Because ammonia reacts with bleach to produce toxic fumes, inhaling the vapors that come off this mixture will likely lead to poisoning and a serious health emergency. The effects of inhaling high concentrations of bleach-and-ammonia vapors are described by Reference.com as severe.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What are some septic-safe household cleaners?

    A:

    The government has no official definition of "septic tank safe" in regards to cleaners but indicates any commercially available cleaner is safe for the tank when used in moderation and in accordance with the package directions, according to Consumer Reports. This includes disinfectants, bleach, toilet bowl cleaners and drain cleaners. The website indicates that "septic safe" labeling on containers is not meaningful.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Does ammonia disinfect?

    A:

    Ammonia is not listed as a disinfectant by the Environmental Protection Agency. Ammonia is one of the most widely produced industrial chemicals in the United States. Roughly 80 percent of manufactured ammonia is utilized in fertilizer for the agriculture industry.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore