Because ammonia reacts with bleach to produce toxic fumes, inhaling the vapors that come off this mixture will likely lead to poisoning and a serious health emergency. The effects of inhaling high concentrations of bleach-and-ammonia vapors are described by Reference.com as severe.Know More
When bleach and ammonia mix, their reaction generates a laundry list of additional compounds, nearly all of which are toxic. According to About.com, these chemical reactions include hydrochloric acid, chlorine gas and hydrazine. Chlorine gas is so toxic that it was used as a weapon during World War I. Hydrazine is volatile and can even explode if present in sufficient concentrations. Hydrochloric acid is a powerful acid that can easily cause serious chemical burns on exposed tissues such as the trachea, esophagus and lungs.
Anyone who has been exposed to these chemicals should seek medical treatment right away, especially if the chemicals are inhaled. The National Institutes of Health reports that how well a patient ultimately responds to medical treatment largely depends on how quickly the chemicals present in the body can be neutralized or diluted. Anyone who is near to a release of these fumes should leave the area and call the local poison control hotline for advice.Learn more about Cleaning Products
Window cleaners, floor wax and smelling salts are a few of the products that contain ammonia. While some manufacturers disclose ammonia on the label, others hide its presence in the product as a part of a trade secret. Ammonia's sharp, pungent odor is easy to detect upon opening the products.Full Answer >
Bleach is relatively benign when ingested in small amounts, but large amounts can cause death. It can also cause serious damage if it makes contact with the eyes, and it can irritate skin.Full Answer >
According to Medline Plus, it is important for anyone who inhales bleach to contact 911 or a local poison control center as soon as possible. Bleach contains sodium hypochlorite, a toxic chemical that is poisonous when inhaled or ingested. Symptoms of sodium hypochlorite poisoning from inhalation include coughing, burning eyes, burning throat, burning esophagus and chest pain. Medline Plus also advises never to mix bleach with ammonia.Full Answer >
The results of drinking bleach depend on several factors, including the concentration and amount of bleach ingested. Drinking a small amount of bleach diluted with water is not likely to cause harm. The EPA recommends adding eight drops of bleach to a gallon of water for disinfection in the event of a flood. However, drinking bleach directly from the bottle leads to burns in the esophagus and potential poisoning.Full Answer >