Hydrogen peroxide is widely used as a DIY treatment to kill mold. It's a strong oxidizer and is listed as a popular mold treatment by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. It's not known which, if any, species of mold are resistant to hydrogen peroxide.Know More
Hydrogen peroxide's disinfecting properties come from its reactivity. The chemical formula for hydrogen peroxide is H2O2. The two oxygen atoms readily bond with and split other molecules. For biological entities such as mold, this means their surface layers are attacked, which leads to more oxygen attacking the inside of the organism and eventual death.
Humans can experience similar effects if concentrations of hydrogen peroxide are high enough. Even solutions of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide are corrosive to humans. Most household solutions of hydrogen peroxide are very dilute, yet they're still effective at killing fungus and bacteria. Molds are a variety of fungus, and general antifungal treatments should also be effective against them.Learn more about Cleaning Products
Hydrogen peroxide can be used to clean organic stains from a carpet. Organic stains include blood, food, pet urine and wine and other beverages. Hydrogen peroxide should only be used on carpets in the 3 percent concentration sold at drugstores.Full Answer >
Hydrogen peroxide should not be used as a treatment for Candida infections, as the yeast actually thrives in hydrogen peroxide solution, according to the Journal of Clinical Microbiology. In this study, Candida in a solution of blood and 1-percent peroxide significantly replicated more than a blood solution alone over 24 hours.Full Answer >
Hydrogen peroxide is a chemical compound that breaks down upon contact with most living cells to release oxygen and provide an antibiotic action by breaking down the cell wall of bacteria, according to Remy Melina for Live Science. Unfortunately, it also damages skin cells using the same mechanism.Full Answer >
Vinegar kills mold and mildew without introducing the artificial chemicals that comprise household cleansers. The acetic acid inside vinegar is fatal for just about all plants with which it comes in contact, so putting white vinegar into a spray bottle is the first step in combating mold or mildew.Full Answer >