Every gas dryer model is slightly different; the instruction manual or manufacturer's specifications contains instructions to safely light the pilot light of a gas dryer. Most modern appliances do not have pilot lights and instead rely on piezoelectric spark to light the gas. Problems with this type of light are best handled by the manufacturer or an authorized repair technician.Know More
For older dryers that do have a pilot light, some municipal power companies offer pilot light services. In areas that do offer this service, an appointment is scheduled and a technician lights the pilot light on-site. Appointment scheduling and whether there is a cost to the consumer varies depending on the utility company. When a pilot light service is unavailable or undesired, manufacturer's specifications and proper safety procedures must be followed.
The most common signs of a pilot light going out are the dryer refusing to start and the odor of gas. If a gas odor is present but the pilot light is on, there is a gas leak causing the odor. Lighting matches, lighters or any other source of open flame is dangerous in this situation, and the local utility company is best equipped to handle the gas leak.Learn more about Washers & Dryers
It is not possible to convert a gas dryer to electric. According to the Sears parts team, the number of necessary parts that must be switched out for an attempted conversion costs as much as three new machines. In addition, manufacturers do not cover converted dryers.Full Answer >
If a home has a gas line hookup in the laundry area, it is equipped for a gas dryer. If the laundry area has a 240-volt outlet, it is equipped for an electric dryer. A 240-volt outlet is larger than normal and is twice the strength of a normal household outlet. If neither is present, either a gas line or a 240-volt outlet can be professionally installed.Full Answer >
Light a pilot light with a match. Fine wire might also be required to clean the pilot opening if the flame fails to remain lit.Full Answer >
To clean a pilot light, use a stiff wire brush, a metal file and an air compressor to clear away buildup. You also need water and gloves. You need to disconnect all sources of gas and electricity before cleaning.Full Answer >