Q:

How long do mothballs last?

A:

A naphthalene mothball takes many months to evaporate, while a para-dichlorobenzene mothball lasts about one month. Mothballs are used to repel insects that eat natural fibers, such as moths and silverfish, and keep them away from books or clothes. The mothballs' pungent smell goes away when they have fully evaporated.

The Environmental Protection Agency cautions that exposure to naphthalene mothballs can have detrimental health effects. If mothballs are eaten or their fumes are inhaled, they can cause sickness. Contact with the skin or eyes can cause irritation. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services says that para-dichlorobenzene may cause cancer as observed in animal studies.

Learn More

Related Questions

  • Q:

    How do you make homemade aluminum polish cleaner?

    A:

    A homemade aluminum cleaner for cookware is composed of cream of tartar and white vinegar or lemon juice. A mixture of tomatoes and rhubarb can be used to clean smaller aluminum items. Lemon juice, water and vinegar are used to clean aluminum windows and door frames. Alkaline products, such as ammonia or baking soda, should be avoided in a homemade aluminum cleaner to prevent discoloration.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What is a natural suede cleaner?

    A:

    A combination of baking soda and white vinegar is one way to clean suede. White vinegar lifts stains and refreshes the suede, while baking soda eliminates odors without harming the finish of the suede.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    How do you make a drain cleaner with vinegar and soda?

    A:

    Use vinegar and baking soda as a drain cleaner by removing excess water from the fixture, pouring down the baking soda, following with the vinegar, waiting a few minutes and dumping boiling water down the drain. Do not mix the vinegar and baking soda beforehand as they neutralize each other.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What should you do when you inhale too much bleach?

    A:

    According to Medline Plus, it is important for anyone who inhales bleach to contact 911 or a local poison control center as soon as possible. Bleach contains sodium hypochlorite, a toxic chemical that is poisonous when inhaled or ingested. Symptoms of sodium hypochlorite poisoning from inhalation include coughing, burning eyes, burning throat, burning esophagus and chest pain. Medline Plus also advises never to mix bleach with ammonia.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore