Make homemade rat poison by combining borax with chicken broth or peanut butter and leaving it around the house in areas where rats have been seen. Wear rubber gloves while working with borax, because it is poisonous to humans. Do not place borax where children or pets may try to play with it or eat it, as it is dangerous to consume.Know More
To make homemade rat poison, you need rubber gloves, borax and some food that is attractive to rats. Try chicken broth or peanut butter as a start. If these are unappealing to the local rats, experiment with mixing borax with other types of food till you find one the rats choose to eat.
Wear rubber gloves while working with borax, and do not touch your hands to your mouth. Mix borax with the chicken broth or peanut butter until you achieve a dough-like consistency. Roll the borax-and-food combination into small balls. If the rats don't eat the balls, try mixing the borax with dry ingredients such as chocolate milk mix.
Place the borax balls around the house in areas where you've spotted rats. Pay attention to make sure they're being eaten. Search for the dead rats and remove them promptly.
Peanut butter is generally considered to be the best bait for catching a rat. Despite a pest control myth to the contrary, cheese is not the best bait for rodents. In fact, most rodents, including rats, do not like cheese.Full Answer >
Snap traps are effective tools for killing rats in the home. If the rat is inside the home, it is also necessary to close any entrances to prevent additional rats from entering.Full Answer >
Every exterminator has their own tricks of the trade, but the most effective bait for rat traps is normally considered to be peanut butter. Any sticky food works though.Full Answer >
The side effects of rat poison or rodenticide depends on the type of poison, but could include nausea, vomiting, chest pain, diarrhea, respiratory failure and unexplained bleeding. Both humans and pets can suffer negative side effects from exposure to rat poison, and it is important to consult a physician or veterinarian if exposure is suspected.Full Answer >