Sparking in microwave ovens is usually caused by exposed metal. Even a small piece of metal such as a staple from a food bag or steel wool left after cleaning can cause sparks. In addition, parts of the microwave itself can cause sparking if the paint inside chips or peels.
Should your microwave spark, turn it off, unplug it and check the interior carefully. If there’s only food inside the microwave when it sparks and you’ve cleaned it recently, check for any metal you may have put in along with the food. If you’re reheating food bagged at a restaurant, check to make sure there’s no staple in the bag.
When the paint inside a microwave oven chips or peels, exposed metal can cause the microwave to spark. The most likely parts to spark are the waveguide cover, turntable lugs and rack supports. You may be able to repair these parts with microwave oven paint. If the metal walls are sparking, you may be able to repaint them as well.
Microwave ovens also spark when their magnetron tubes – the component that generates heat – go bad. It is possible to replace the magnetron tube, but doing so requires close contact with the high-voltage components of the oven.Learn More
Haier Group is a Chinese company that makes home appliances such as air conditioners, refrigerators, and microwave ovens. As of 2014, based on statistics from Euromonitor International, for five years in a row, Haier has held the number one spot globally as a home appliance brand.Full Answer >
Clean the inside of a microwave oven by boiling 1 cup of water containing slices from one lemon. Allow the solution to cool, wipe with a clean sponge, then clean the glass using a solution of equal parts of vinegar and water.Full Answer >
Microwave inverters power microwave ovens using a power supply with an inverter instead of a magnetic coil or transformer. This device is more powerful and efficient than the older styles.Full Answer >
For an ecologically friendly way to dispose of a broken microwave, find a local company that specializes in recycling old appliances. Otherwise, simply throw the microwave out with other normal household trash.Full Answer >