How much water can a paper towel absorb?
Credit: jeepersmedia CC-BY-2.0
Q:

How much water can a paper towel absorb?

A:

Quick Answer

According to Consumer Reports as of September 2014, a 1-foot square paper towel absorbs between 1/2 ounce and 2 1/2 ounces of fluid. The amount of fluid soaked up depends on the brand.

  Know More

Full Answer

To determine how much water each type of paper towel absorbs, Consumer Reports places paper towels of various brands in a bucket of water and records the amount of water absorbed.

Paper towels absorb fluids, because the sheets consist of cellulose, which is made up of sugar molecules. Liquids cooperate with sugar molecules. They all stick together, and this leads to absorption. In addition, paper towels have a looser weave than napkins or tissues. The extra space within the towel allows liquids to move through the sheet quickly.

Learn more about Cleaning Products

Related Questions

  • Q:

    What are some facts about Brawny paper towels?

    A:

    Brawny Paper Towels are made entirely in the U.S.A. The company's paper towels are available in full size and 'pick-a-size' sheets. In addition to their original paper towels, Brawny makes Brawny Wet Cloths. These heavy duty wipes are similar to a wet cloth in strength and texture but are disposable.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What is the strongest brand of paper towel?

    A:

    According to independent research performed by the Sweet Home, Bounty's Select-a-Size paper towels have the greatest scrubbing strength when compared to other commercially available paper towels. These paper towels are highly absorbent, and the select-a-size feature allows consumers to use less material on small jobs.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What is a paper towel made of?

    A:

    One of the main ingredients of paper towels is paper pulp, which contain cellulose fibers. These special fibers also contain materials such as wood, cotton and plant fibers. The pulp used in paper towels is often bleached to produce a lighter color.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What should you do when you inhale too much bleach?

    A:

    According to Medline Plus, it is important for anyone who inhales bleach to contact 911 or a local poison control center as soon as possible. Bleach contains sodium hypochlorite, a toxic chemical that is poisonous when inhaled or ingested. Symptoms of sodium hypochlorite poisoning from inhalation include coughing, burning eyes, burning throat, burning esophagus and chest pain. Medline Plus also advises never to mix bleach with ammonia.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore