Q:

What is poison ivy?

A:

Quick Answer

Poison ivy is a plant that causes an allergic reaction in the form of a red, itchy rash when touched by skin. It is found throughout most of the United States except for in the Southwest, Alaska and Hawaii.

Know More
What is poison ivy?
Credit: Steffen Hauser age fotostock Getty Images

Full Answer

Poison ivy is vine that is often found along riverbanks and other wet areas. It is identified by its three shiny green leaves and red stem. Poison ivy secretes a sticky oil called urushiol that causes a rash from an allergic reaction called contact dermatitis. Brushing against or touching any part of the plant, including the roots, will transfer the oil, even if the plant is dead.

Poison ivy should not be burnt, as this will allow the oils to be come airborne. The oil from poison ivy can contaminate skin, clothing, pet fur and even nonporous materials such as gardening tools. Until the oils are washed off, they will continue to transfer via the items they have contaminated.

A rash from poison ivy is not contagious once it has been cleaned of the oils. Rashes from coming into contact with poison ivy can lead to fluid-filled blisters, small bumps and red streaks. Those who have a severe allergy to poison ivy may experience swelling and very large blisters that ooze.

Learn More

Related Questions

  • Q:

    Can poison ivy spread?

    A:

    Poison ivy is not contagious and is not spread through person-to-person contact, according to the Mayo Clinic. The rash itself only occurs as a direct result of contact with the plant or direct contact with plant oils that have contaminated other items, such as clothing.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    How many leaves does poison ivy have?

    A:

    Poison ivy has compound leaves formed from groups of three leaflets. Individual plants have different numbers of total leaves based on the plant's size and age, but the individual leaves always consist of groups of three leaflets.

    Full Answer >
  • Q:

    How do you get rid of poison ivy?

    A:

    Once absorbed by the skin, poison ivy must run its course; however, it can be prevented and safely treated at home. To prevent poison ivy, immediately rinse with cool or lukewarm water after exposure. To treat it, avoid scratching, and apply calamine lotion or hydrocortisone to the skin. Cool compresses and antihistamine medications can help relieve uncomfortable symptoms.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Is poison ivy contagious?

    A:

    According to Everyday Health, the rash from poison ivy and the fluid in the blisters is not contagious. The oils from the plant can spread onto clothing, shoes or any item that was touched by the oils.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore