Q:

What is the proper ratio of bleach and water for disinfecting?

A:

Most surfaces can be sanitized with a solution of one cup of bleach in one gallon of water. To be effective, this disinfectant should be made with regular-strength, unscented household bleach.

Before applying the sanitizer, the surface should be cleaned with warm, soapy water to remove any dirt or debris and rinsed with clean water. Once the bleach solution is used, it should be allowed to air dry. For safety, this mixture should never be mixed with products containing ammonia. As bleach is caustic, rubber gloves should be worn and windows and doors opened to allow fresh air to circulate.


Is this answer helpful?

Similar Questions

  • Q:

    What is the best kitchen degreaser?

    A:

    The best kitchen degreaser is one that works on all surfaces, including countertops, cabinets, sinks, stovetops and appliance surfaces. Commercial multi-purpose cleaners, such as Lysol, made by Reckitt Benckiser LLC, or Pine Sol, a product of The Clorox Company, work well for everyday kitchen cleanup.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What should you do when you inhale too much bleach?

    A:

    According to Medline Plus, it is important for anyone who inhales bleach to contact 911 or a local poison control center as soon as possible. Bleach contains sodium hypochlorite, a toxic chemical that is poisonous when inhaled or ingested. Symptoms of sodium hypochlorite poisoning from inhalation include coughing, burning eyes, burning throat, burning esophagus and chest pain. Medline Plus also advises never to mix bleach with ammonia.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What is germicidal bleach?

    A:

    Germicidal bleach is the first choice for disinfecting hard surfaces, according to Clorox. It is registered by the Environmental Protection Agency to kill Clostridium difficle spores, commonly known as c-difficle, a bacterial species that causes pseudomembranous colitis.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Is bleach poisonous?

    A:

    Bleach is relatively benign when ingested in small amounts, but large amounts can cause death. It can also cause serious damage if it makes contact with the eyes, and it can irritate skin.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore