Q:

Are rhododendrons poisonous?

A:

Quick Answer

The rhododendron is a poisonous plant. It is classified as highly toxic and can be fatal due to the presence of andromedotoxin in the plant.

Know More
Are rhododendrons poisonous?
Credit: hereistom Flickr CC-BY-2.0

Full Answer

All parts of the rhododendron are toxic and can produce symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, depression, loss of energy, eyes watering, salivation and coma. The poison delivery method is listed as ingestion. Rhododendron is a poisonous plant for dogs, cats and horses as well. The symptoms for pet poisoning mimic the ones for human victims and can be fatal. The rhododendron is a woody shrub that flowers in the spring and is very popular in gardens.


Is this answer helpful?

Similar Questions

  • Q:

    What are rhododendron leaves?

    A:

    Rhododendron leaves are evergreen or deciduous foliage of a genus of plants called the rhododendron. Most are dark green with a shiny upper surface and a dull underside.

    Full Answer >
  • Q:

    Why are my rhododendron leaves turning brown?

    A:

    The two primary reasons that rhododendron leaves turn brown are cold weather and rhododendron wilt. The former is a naturally occurring phenomenon that takes place as the result of changing weather patterns and doesn't necessarily indicate a dead plant. The latter is the result of a soil fungus.

    Full Answer >
  • Q:

    Are marigolds poisonous?

    A:

    Marigolds are not listed as a poisonous plant for humans, according to the National Capital Poison Center. Marigolds are considered safe and were historically used as medicines for healing wounds and preventing infection in tinctures, ointments or infusions, according to Herbs 2000.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What is the world's most poisonous flower?

    A:

    The most poisonous plant is the oleander, or Nerium oleander, which is a beautiful flowering shrub that contains poison in every part, according to How Stuff Works. Swallowing oleander can cause intense stomach pain, vomiting, diarrhea, irregular heartbeat and death.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore