Q:

How should you disinfect a home after parvo?

A:

Quick Answer

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) recommends washing all infected surfaces and items, such as the dog's nowl and toys, when disinfecting a home after parvovirus. This is done effectively with a solution made with 1 part chlorine bleach to 32 parts water. Surfaces that can't be washed with chlorine bleach may be steam cleaned or quarantined to protect other animals in the home.

Know More

Full Answer

All dog bedding, collars and other disposable items that cannot be cleaned with chlorine bleach should be thrown away to prevent the spread of parvo. Couches, other soft furnishings and carpets may be steam cleaned, but parvo may remain on soft surfaces for up to six weeks even after cleaning.

Hard surfaces and non-porous surfaces such as linoleum flooring are disinfected by mopping with the solution of chlorine bleach. Clorox recommends cleaning hardwood floors with a solution of 3/4 cup chlorine bleach in 1 gallon of water. The solution needs to remain on the floor for 10 minutes to kill any remaining virus. Dog bowls and other items that the dog has used should also be soaked in a solution of chlorine bleach for 10 minutes.

Concrete areas can be disinfected using a bleach solution, spraying concrete patios and driveways thoroughly with a pressure washer after treating with bleach. Gravel driveways and treated wooden decks in non-grassy outdoor areas can also be cleaned with a bleach solution by attaching a sprayer bottle to a garden hose and using 3/4 cup of chlorine bleach to each gallon of water in the sprayer. Grass may be flushed with plain water to reduce the amount of parvo virus in soil.

Learn more about Cleaning

Related Questions

  • Q:

    Is Swiffer dangerous to pets?

    A:

    According to the American Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), the cleaning agents contained in the Swiffer wet jet fluid do not contain chemicals in large enough quantities to be harmful to pets.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are hydrangeas poisonous to dogs?

    A:

    According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), certain parts of hydrangea plants are particularly toxic to dogs. The buds, flowers and leaves are highly toxic and, in extreme cases, can prove fatal.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are roses poisonous to cats?

    A:

    Roses are not toxic to cats, according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA). However, Christmas roses, also known as hellebore, Lenten rose and Easter rose, are toxic when ingested by a cat.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    How many dogs and cats are euthanized each year?

    A:

    Around 2.7 million dogs and cats are euthanized every year in the United States, according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA). This figure represents 1.4 million cats and 1.2 million dogs.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore