According to Medline Plus, it is important for anyone who inhales bleach to contact 911 or a local poison control center as soon as possible. Bleach contains sodium hypochlorite, a toxic chemical that is poisonous when inhaled or ingested. Symptoms of sodium hypochlorite poisoning from inhalation include coughing, burning eyes, burning throat, burning esophagus and chest pain. Medline Plus also advises never to mix bleach with ammonia.Know More
Healthline explains that chlorine poisoning can occur if an individual inhales too much bleach. Chlorine is found in bleach, common household cleaners, and chlorine tablets used to treat swimming pool water. Chlorine poisoning occurs when inhaled chlorine interacts with the water inside the body, creating hydrochloric acid, a toxic substance.
According to the New York Times, sodium hypochlorite is found in bleach, water purifiers and cleaning products. If bleach is mixed with ammonia, it can create a toxic gas that is extremely dangerous when inhaled. It is important to immediately seek immediate medical treatment if inhalation poisoning is suspected. Treatment for inhaled bleach poisoning includes oxygen therapy, insertion of a breathing tube, and bronchoscopy, a procedure in which a camera travels down the throat in order to detect burns on the esophagus and stomach. The chances of recovery from bleach inhalation are good as long as treatment occurs as soon as possible following exposure.Learn more about Cleaning Products
The active ingredient in Clorox bleach is sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl), a strong oxidizing agent used to clean, sanitize and disinfect surfaces and liquids, and to destroy pigments in stains and textiles. This is a powerful and potentially dangerous chemical which must be handled carefully.Full Answer >
The difference between color-safe bleach and regular bleach is the active ingredients used in each formula. Regular bleach uses sodium hypochlorite, while color-safe bleach uses hydrogen peroxide, which is less aggressive.Full Answer >
Most surfaces can be sanitized with a solution of one cup of bleach in one gallon of water. To be effective, this disinfectant should be made with regular-strength, unscented household bleach.Full Answer >
Mixing bleach and Windex releases toxic gases and produces toxic chemicals. S. C. Johnson & Sons, Inc. reports that one of the ingredients in Windex Original is ammonia. When ammonia and sodium hypochlorite, the primary ingredient in bleach are mixed, they produce chloramine vapor; there is also the potential for hydrazine formation. Experts recommend avoiding mixing these two solutions, even in small amounts.Full Answer >