If exposure to Clorox fumes leads to symptoms of poisoning, immediately move the affected person to an area with fresh air, according to MedlinePlus. If the chemical is on the victim's skin or in his eyes, flush the affected area with water for 15 minutes. Do not make the victim throw up. If the poison was swallowed, immediately administer water or milk to the victim.Know More
Clorox contains the poisonous ingredient of sodium hypochlorite, which is also included in the chemicals used to add chlorine to swimming pools, disinfectants, household cleaners and water purifiers, according to MedlinePlus. Clorox and other bleaches should never be mixed with ammonia. The interaction between the two cleaners creates a gas poisonous with fumes that cause breathing problems and choking. Symptoms of sodium hypochlorite poisoning include coughing, burning red eyes, gagging and pain in the mouth, throat and esophagus.
Victims may also experience chest pains, low blood pressure, slow heartbeat and shock. Victims who swallow the substance experience vomiting and stomach pain. If exposed to the skin, sodium hypochlorite causes burns and blistering. In severe cases, the victim may suffer from delirium or go into a coma. Diluted sodium hypochlorite generally causes only minor stomach upset if swallowed, notes MedlinePlus.Learn more about Cleaning Products
Like most household bleach products, the active ingredient in Clorox bleach is sodium hypochlorite, a derivative of salt. Clorox bleach begins and ends its life as a mixture of salt and water.Full Answer >
Clorox bleach aids in the completion of multiple household chores, most commonly in the laundry cycle when washing white clothing and linens. Another common household use for Clorox bleach is the removal of mold and mildew from various surfaces, including shower curtains and bathroom tiles.Full Answer >
The active ingredient in Clorox bleach is sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl), a strong oxidizing agent used to clean, sanitize and disinfect surfaces and liquids, and to destroy pigments in stains and textiles. This is a powerful and potentially dangerous chemical which must be handled carefully.Full Answer >
The most common symptoms of inhaling bleach fumes include coughing and irritation of the eyes, throat and nose. People with sensitivities to the chemicals in chlorine bleach may experience more intense symptoms after exposure.Full Answer >