Q:

Can cats eat chocolate?

A:

Cats should never consume chocolate. According the ASPCA, chocolate is toxic to cats due to the caffeine and theobromine, which are part of the methylxanthine drug class.

According to About.com, dark chocolate and unsweetened baker's chocolate contain more methylxanthines than milk chocolate. Unsweetened chocolate powder is the most toxic to cats because it has the highest levels of methylxanthines. White chocolate contains significantly lower levels of caffeine and theobromine and is relatively harmless to cats.

The ASPCA explains that when a cat consumes chocolate, it can exhibit symptoms that include vomiting, muscle tremors, irregular heartbeat, restlessness, seizures, increased thirst and increased body temperature. In severe cases, cats can die from ingesting chocolate.

Learn More

Related Questions

  • Q:

    What do cats eat?

    A:

    Cats are obligate carnivores, meaning that they must primarily eat meat. Cats have trouble digesting vegetables and should only be on a meat-based diet.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Why do cats eat plastic?

    A:

    A cat that chews on plastic objects such as grocery bags and bottle caps has most likely developed a condition called pica, which causes unusual cravings for nonfood items, according to WebMD. Pica can develop for many reasons, including gastrointestinal issues and dental disease. "Cats may also chew plastic due to anxiety," says Dr. Amy Pike, DVM, of Veterinary Behavior Consultations in St. Louis, Mo.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Why do cats eat grass?

    A:

    PetMD states that cats eat grass for reasons related to nutrition and digestion. The juices in grass contain folic acid, an essential vitamin that helps the bodies of cats function optimally and helps produce hemoglobin in their blood. Grass can also be a natural laxative for cats.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Why do cats eat roses?

    A:

    The most common reasons cats eat plants like roses include soothing teething or simply playing. Eating plants in small quantities is normal cat behavior and usually isn't a problem unless the plant is poisonous. Roses are non-toxic in small quantities, provided the stems and thorns are removed.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore