According to Carmela Stamper, a veterinarian in the Center for Veterinary Medicine at the Food and Drug Administration, it is not safe to give a dog a bone of any kind. Bones can cause health hazards for pets, regardless of the size of the bone.
Bones can cause broken teeth, mouth injuries and severe bleeding in the rectum. Bone splinters can get lodged in the throat, stomach and intestines, and bones can also cause constipation and stomach infection from holes poked into the intestines and stomach. There are many alternatives on the market for dogs to chew on, including synthetic bones designed specifically for dogs.