The human allergy medication diphenhydramine hydrochloride (HCL) can be used to relieve certain allergy symptoms in dogs, notes Trupanion. Also known by the trademark name Benadryl, this medication can be prescribed by veterinarians to treat other health concerns like reactions to insect bites, motion sickness and muscle tremors. Diphenhydramine HCL should only be used under the supervision of a veterinarian, and only pure diphenhydramine HCL is safe for canine consumption.Know More
Diphenhydramine HCL can be a great medication to use in certain types of emergencies, according to About.com. Allergic reactions from insect stings can be lessened if diphenhydramine HCL is administered quickly. These stings can become life-threatening depending on their location. The appropriate dosage varies depending on the dog's age, size and overall health, so the appropriate use of this medication in emergency settings should be discussed with a veterinarian.
PetMD notes that diphenhydramine HCL can cause drowsiness, dry mouth, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite and reduced urination. A veterinarian should be consulted if these side effects occur.
For dogs with high blood pressure, glaucoma, asthma, prostate disease, heart disease or certain other conditions, diphenhydramine HCL may not be appropriate, notes Vetstreet. Even if the medication is deemed necessary, a veterinarian must carefully monitor the dosage.
According to petMD, diphenhydramine HCL is an antihistamine that works by blocking histamines that cause swelling, itchiness and inflammation. It also prevents a dog's airways from contracting due to an allergic reaction.Learn more about Veterinary Health
According to Alpine Animal Doctors, the over-the-counter human pain reliever paracetamol should never be given to dogs. It is highly toxic to canines. Although some dogs die quickly after ingesting the drug, it builds up in the internal organs of others.Full Answer >
Though aspirin is not toxic to dogs, owners should not give aspirin to a dog except under the direct supervision and advice of a veterinarian, according to PetMD. Commonly used to treat short-term musculoskeletal pain, aspirin is known to cause gastric pain, bleeding and ulcers.Full Answer >
According to the Pet Poison Helpline, ibuprofen should not ever be given to dogs unless specifically recommended by a veterinarian. Dogs have a very low tolerance for ibuprofen, and even small amounts can cause an overdose, which can lead to life-threatening complications.Full Answer >
Dogs can be given aspirin once or twice a day for short-term pain relief only. Large dogs weighing 50 to 100 pounds can be given one regular aspirin tablet and dogs over 100 pounds can be given two regular aspirin. Walker Valley Veterinary Hospital states that dogs between 30 to 50 pounds can be given one-half of a regular aspirin tablet. Smaller dogs should be given baby aspirin; one-half a baby aspirin tablet for dogs under 10 pounds and one baby aspirin for dogs that are 10 to 30 pounds.