Though aspirin is not toxic to dogs, owners should not give aspirin to a dog except under the direct supervision and advice of a veterinarian, according to PetMD. Commonly used to treat short-term musculoskeletal pain, aspirin is known to cause gastric pain, bleeding and ulcers.
WebMD states that owners can give a dog an accidental aspirin overdose, causing organ damage or death. Even the correct dose can cause an unpredictable or life-threatening complication in some animals. The veterinarian knows the correct dosage, and whether the dog's pain can be effectively treated with aspirin. PetMD states that there are safer alternative treatments for managing pain, including medications developed specifically for dogs. Research and veterinarian experience show that aspirin must be used carefully, if at all.Learn More
When a male horse and a female donkey mate, they produce an offspring called a hinny. Hinnies are somewhat smaller than mules, which are the product of breeding between a female horse and a male donkey.Full Answer >
Dogs suffering from a stomach virus need fluids to avoid dehydration, so give them either water or unflavored pediatric electrolyte solution. Because viruses are not caused by bacteria, antibiotics are not effective as treatment.Full Answer >
There are several reasons why a cat may scratch and cause scabs to form on its neck, including food allergies, rinworm and stress. Other reasons for scabs include tumors, fleas, ticks, dry skin and grooming products.Full Answer >
According to Pet Poison Helpline, identifying the type of poison the animal ingested is essential to appropriate treatment. If the ingredients are not clearly visible on the label, the EPA registration number, which appears as EPA Reg. No. on the label, identifies the product. The veterinarian or local poison control number should be called.Full Answer >