Though aspirin is not toxic to dogs, owners should not give aspirin to a dog except under the direct supervision and advice of a veterinarian, according to PetMD. Commonly used to treat short-term musculoskeletal pain, aspirin is known to cause gastric pain, bleeding and ulcers.
WebMD states that owners can give a dog an accidental aspirin overdose, causing organ damage or death. Even the correct dose can cause an unpredictable or life-threatening complication in some animals. The veterinarian knows the correct dosage, and whether the dog's pain can be effectively treated with aspirin. PetMD states that there are safer alternative treatments for managing pain, including medications developed specifically for dogs. Research and veterinarian experience show that aspirin must be used carefully, if at all.Learn More
According to Pet Education, milk of magnesia, an antacid, is safe to give to a dog when directed by a veterinarian. Though it is an over-the-counter medication, it has not received FDA approval for use with small animals, so dog owners must seek medical advice before dosing their pets.Full Answer >
According to petMD, Amoxicillin is safe for dogs; however, pet owners should not give the drug to their dog without first consulting a veterinarian. Amoxicillin is most commonly used for the treatment of bacterial infections in cuts, wounds, the skin, the bladder, the upper respiratory system and the mouth.Full Answer >
According to the Pet Poison Helpline, ibuprofen should not ever be given to dogs unless specifically recommended by a veterinarian. Dogs have a very low tolerance for ibuprofen, and even small amounts can cause an overdose, which can lead to life-threatening complications.Full Answer >
The best way to treat a dog with a fever above 103 degrees Fahrenheit is to call a veterinarian. If the fever reaches above 105 F, WebMD recommends lowering the body temperature by applying cool water to the dog's coat, focusing on the ears and feet while monitoring its rectal temperature. If this is not sufficient, use a fan on the damp fur. Seek veterinary help quickly to determine cause.Full Answer >