Are cashews poisonous to dogs?
Credit:James A. GuilliamPhotolibraryGetty Images
Q:

Are cashews poisonous to dogs?

A:

Quick Answer

Cashews are not poisonous to dogs. Cashews are a good source of fiber and nutrients, such as antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids, minerals and vitamins.

 Know More

Full Answer

However, cashews are high in sodium, fat and calories. For these reasons, a disadvantage of regular consumption of cashews by a dog is weight gain. Excessive weight in a dog can increase its chances of developing pancreatitis. Because cashews are high in phosphorus, they can cause bladder stones in dogs. Another disadvantage is that cashews may cause allergic reactions in some dogs.

It is fine to let dogs eat a moderate amount of cashews as an occasional treat. However, never feed a dog walnuts or macadamia nuts. These nuts are toxic for dogs.

Learn more about Veterinary Health

Related Questions

  • Q:

    Is ibuprofen safe for dogs?

    A:

    Ibuprofen is toxic to dogs. Although it is a common over-the-counter pain reliever and considered generally safe for use in people, dogs have different body chemistry and cannot tolerate the drug.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Is Silly Putty harmful to dogs?

    A:

    Silly Putty can be harmful to dogs in some cases. Although it is non-toxic, it can obstruct the digestive tract, which requires medical attention, notes experts at PetPlace.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Can dogs have ibuprofen?

    A:

    Ibuprofen is considered unsafe for dogs or cats and should never be used without direction from a veterinarian, according to the Veterinary Information Network. Never give human medication to pets without consulting a veterinarian.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Can dogs get high?

    A:

    Marijuana does not affect dogs in exactly the same way that it does humans, though some shared symptoms may occur such as sleepiness, confusion or diminished motor skills. Ingested marijuana has the potential to be seriously harmful or even fatal to dogs, however.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore