Q:

Is citronella poisonous to dogs?

A:

Quick Answer

Citronella is poisonous to dogs. Citronella is one of many dangerous items that can be found in the home during warm weather and presents a hazard to dogs and other pets.

Know More

Full Answer

Other summertime items that are harmful to dogs include cocoa mulch, swimming pools supplies, fertilizer and compost piles. Cold weather products that are dangerous for pets include antifreeze, ice-melting products and rodent poisons or baits. Certain human food and medications can harm dogs. Chocolate, coffee, avocado, onions and grapes are among the foods which are harmful to dogs. Dogs can also be poisoned by household products such as vitamins, pain-killers and cold medicines.

Learn more about Dogs
Sources:

Related Questions

  • Q:

    Are hostas poisonous to dogs?

    A:

    Hostas, also called plantain lilies, are poisonous to dogs. Toxic effects occur when a dog chews or ingests the leaves, roots and flowers of the hosta.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are chestnuts poisonous to dogs?

    A:

    American chestnuts are not poisonous to dogs, according to the ASPCA. The Daily Puppy warns an unrelated plant called the horse chestnut is considered toxic to dogs and other animals when consumed in large quantities.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are paperwhites poisonous to dogs?

    A:

    The paperwhite, also known as the daffodil or narcissus, is toxic to domestic dogs and many other mammal species, including humans. All parts of the plant contains a toxic alkaloid called lycorine. The bulbs are considered especially dangerous because they are easily confused with onions.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are mums poisonous to dogs?

    A:

    According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), chrysanthemum plants, or mums, are poisonous to dogs. They may cause vomiting, diarrhea, clumsiness, increased salivation and skin inflammation. If a pet ingests mums, the ASPCA advises that a local veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center be contacted immediately.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore