Q:

Do dogs eat their dead puppies?

A:

Quick Answer

According to The Daily Puppy, dogs are known to sometimes eat their dead puppies. Cannibalism has been observed in dogs, but it is not commonplace. In theory, other dogs of any breed or mix are capable of eating their puppies, dead or alive.

Know More

Full Answer

Some breeds of dogs kill puppies due to the erratic movements and high-pitched sounds of some puppies being reminiscent of mice and other rodents. Mother dogs operate on instinct, seeing stillborn or unhealthy puppies as a danger to the rest of the litter. This has been observed to lead to the mother eating stillborn puppies or killing and eating unhealthy ones.

Learn more about Dogs

Related Questions

  • Q:

    What are some characteristics of miniature collie puppies?

    A:

    Miniature collie puppies, more formally known as Shetland sheepdogs, were first bred as herding dogs. They are known for being fast, agile, loyal, smart, sensitive, shy and loving. Because they are so quick and agile, miniature collie puppies are great at sports and excel at agility tasks in competition. They make great guard dogs, as they tend to bark a lot. They are very intelligent, highly trainable and very energetic.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Why do dogs eat tissues?

    A:

    Dogs chew on tissue paper sometimes if they are bored, and sometimes they chew paper for the taste or texture. Some dogs just like ripping things up.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Why can't dogs eat grapes?

    A:

    Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure or toxic reactions in dogs. Some dogs are more prone to developing kidney failure from the food than others, and the reason why they cause this ailment is unknown.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are paperwhites poisonous to dogs?

    A:

    The paperwhite, also known as the daffodil or narcissus, is toxic to domestic dogs and many other mammal species, including humans. All parts of the plant contains a toxic alkaloid called lycorine. The bulbs are considered especially dangerous because they are easily confused with onions.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore