Q:

Why are grapes bad for dogs?

A:

Quick Answer

According to the ASPCA, both grapes and raisins have been linked to kidney failure in dogs. The cause of the toxicosis is not known. Symptoms within 12 hours of ingestion can include vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy.

Know More
Why are grapes bad for dogs?
Credit: quiLie Moment Open Getty Images

Full Answer

While some dogs experience toxicosis from eating grapes and raisins, some do not. Some dogs can eat them without problem but then experience symptoms when consuming them at a later date. With no cause of toxicosis yet identified, dogs should generally not eat grapes and raisins. As symptoms of toxicosis progress, dogs may stop eating and become increasingly dehydrated and lethargic. Dogs also may exhibit more frequent urination followed by an absence of urination as stages progress. Kidney failure may occur as soon as three to four days, but the symptoms and long-term kidney failure can persist when dogs survive the acute intoxication. Immediate veterinary treatment is recommended so that proper urine flow can be enabled and monitored.

Sources:

  1. aspca.org

Is this answer helpful?

Similar Questions

  • Q:

    Can dogs eat grapes?

    A:

    Dogs should not eat grapes because it can lead to kidney failure. Some dogs have eaten grapes without adverse effects, but the risk of kidney failure is well-documented so grapes are not considered safe for dogs.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Can dogs have grapes?

    A:

    Dogs should not eat grapes because grapes and raisins have been linked to canine kidney failure. Not all dogs develop kidney failure after eating grapes, but there is no way to tell which dogs are affected.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What causes high calcium levels in dogs?

    A:

    High calcium levels in dogs, or hypercalcemia, is caused by conditions such as cancer, kidney failure, vitamin D poisoning, aluminum toxicity and diseases that cause bone deterioration, according to PetMD. Other causes include over-functioning of the parathyroid gland or an under-functioning adrenal gland.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are mushrooms bad for dogs?

    A:

    Not all mushrooms are toxic to dogs, though to be safe, dogs should not be permitted to eat them. Mushrooms are difficult to identify, so always assume the worst and bring a dog that has eaten mushrooms to the veterinarian immediately. Furthermore, the toxicity of a mushroom can be affected by the dog's underlying health.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore