Q:

What happens if you cut a dog's nails too short?

A:

Quick Answer

Cutting a dog's toenails too short damages the quick, which has nerves and a blood supply. It is painful to the dog, and the quick bleeds when cut.

Know More

Full Answer

When trimming dog toenails, it is critical to pay attention to quick length. When nails grow overly long, the quick also grows long and is easy to accidentally cut. The quick is the pink center visible in light-colored nails. In dark-colored nails, a small horseshoe shape appears in the cut end when it is near the quick and cannot be cut any shorter. A cut quick may bleed profusely, so dog owners and groomers often keep styptic powder to stop the bleeding.

Learn more about Dogs

Related Questions

  • Q:

    What happens if shingles grow on your brain?

    A:

    The sores associated with shingles don't break out on the brain, but shingles can affect nerves that lead to brain inflammation, which is known as encephalitis. The symptoms of encephalitis include seizures, confusion, motor or sensory problems, and flu-like signs, and medical treatment is necessary, notes Mayo Clinic.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What is the best way to clip a dog's nails?

    A:

    The best way to clip a dog's nails is to use dog nail clippers and ensure the dog remains calm and relaxed. The two main types of nail clippers are guillotine and scissor types; the user must be comfortable with the trimmer type chosen.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    How old does a puppy need to be before you cut its nails?

    A:

    There is no correct age to begin trimming a puppy's nails, and the first trim can happen within just a few weeks after birth. The sooner a dog owner gets the puppy used to nail trimming, the easier it will be to trim the dog's nails as an adult. Waiting 6 months or more to trim the nails can lead to fears or anxiousness in the puppy and make trimming difficult.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What happens when dogs eat Styrofoam?

    A:

    Styrofoam is not digestible and can get stuck in the dog's intestines, causing a blockage. If not treated, the blockage can kill the dog. Ingested Styrofoam can also cause damage to the intestines and other internal organs as it passes through the dog.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore