Q:

What happens if a dog eats petroleum jelly?

A:

Quick Answer

According to the American Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, dogs that eat petroleum jelly sometimes experience gastrointestinal upset, such as stomach aches, vomiting or diarrhea. In addition, there is a very small possibility of pneumonia if the balm is taken into the lungs while being eaten or vomited up from the stomach, according to the ASPCA. The ASPCA explains that the petroleum in the product causes the distress.

Know More

Full Answer

The Veterinary Poisons Information Service considers petroleum jelly to have low toxicity for dogs. The service indicates that no significant steps need to be taken when a dog consumes petroleum jelly. However, if the dog loses fluids through vomiting or experiences loose stools, extra water should be provided to prevent dehydration. In addition, if any further symptoms appear, a veterinarian should be consulted, the service advises.

Petroleum jelly is not always an annoyance for dogs and their owners. Cesar's Way, the website for dog trainer Cesar Millan, recommends using petroleum jelly to protect dogs in winter. The product provides a barrier between ice, snow, salt and a dog's feet. Cesar's Way advises that, before taking a dog outside in cold weather, an owner should smear petroleum jelly or a commercial protective balm on the pads of the dog's feet. Upon return, the dog's feet should be dried off, and another layer of the substance should be applied, according to Cesar's Way.

Learn more about Dogs

Related Questions

  • Q:

    What should I expect after de-worming my dog?

    A:

    Dogs can experience side effects, such as vomiting and diarrhea, following a de-worming treatment. Some dogs experience muscle twitching or seizures after being treated for worms. Expect to follow up with additional de-worming treatments, such as a monthly preventative medication, throughout the dog's life.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Is chocolate bad for dogs?

    A:

    Chocolate is bad for dogs and can cause serious issues such as vomiting and diarrhea when ingested in small amounts. When dogs ingest large amounts of chocolate, it can cause seizures, tremors, rapid heart rate, high blood pressure and death.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Is Phenergan safe for dogs?

    A:

    Phenergan, a brand name of the drug promethazine, is safe for dogs to take in many instances; however, it is imperative to determine the underlying cause of the vomiting by taking the dog to the veterinarian, according to VetInfo.com. If the dog suffers from a bowel obstruction, for example, Phenergan use would be contraindicated. Additionally, overdosing on Phenergan can be toxic for dogs.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Can dogs eat salt?

    A:

    Dogs should not eat salt, as it is extremely toxic and can cause severe symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, fainting and kidney damage. In certain cases, salt ingestion in dogs can lead to life-threatening conditions, including brain swelling and dehydration.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore