Q:

What happens when a dog licks a toad?

A:

In Queensland, Australia, dogs have been licking poisonous, sweaty secretions from the backs of cane toads, resulting in copious drool, tremors, retching and even death. In 2014, the Huffington Post reported a similar case of poisoning in Florida.

Veterinarians speculate that canines may develop a taste for the poison with effects that are similar to a narcotic "high." One member of the University of Queensland's School of Veterinary Science who has treated the same dog several times in the course of a year for toad poisoning states that it is impossible to determine if a dog is intoxicated. Owners who suspect that their canine is poisoned should rinse the dog's mouth with water and contact a veterinarian.


Is this answer helpful?

Similar Questions

  • Q:

    Why is my dog licking the air?

    A:

    Licking the air is often a compulsive behavior that helps dogs cope with anxiety, but it can also be a sign that a dog isn't feeling well. In either case, it is not a behavior that should be ignored.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Why does my dog keep licking the carpet?

    A:

    A dog licking a carpet can be due to a behavior-related issue, a neurological problem, a health reason or boredom. Dogs can exhibit compulsive behavior, which is the adherence to a certain set of behavior patterns for a consistent period. Compulsion is usually associated with anxiety and may require therapy or the attention of a veterinarian.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What happens if a dog eats onions?

    A:

    According to the ASPCA, when dogs eat members of the onion family, such as shallots, onions, garlic and scallions, there is sometimes damage to red blood cells. Small amounts are typically not harmful, but larger portions are potentially dangerous. Stronger foods like garlic are more toxic than milder ones.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What happens if a dog eats gum?

    A:

    Gum can be fatal to dogs when eaten. Many gum brands contain xylitol, an artificial sweetener that is toxic to dogs. Xylitol causes a dog's blood-sugar level to drop to critical levels.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore