Q:

What happens to dogs if they eat chocolate?

A:

Quick Answer

If a dog consumes a large amount of a toxic type of chocolate, the result can be a racing heart rate, heart arrhythmia, tremors, seizures or even death. The type and amount consumed determines the dog's reaction.

Know More

Full Answer

The general rule about chocolate and dogs is that the more bitter and the darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is. An occasional chocolate chip cookie does not harm a dog, but a full square of baker's chocolate or dark chocolate may have harmful effects on any dog's health. The size of the dog must also be considered when deciding whether he consumed a dangerous amount as larger dogs can usually tolerate larger amounts of chocolate.

Learn more about Veterinary Health
Sources:

Related Questions

  • Q:

    What happens if a dog eats a chicken bone?

    A:

    When a dog swallows a chicken bone, there is a chance the bone will choke the dog or pierce its intestinal wall leading to severe complications such as peritonitis, a potentially deadly abdominal infection that is difficult to treat and may be too much for a dog's body to handle.1-800-PetMeds explains that giving any type of animal bone to dogs may be hazardous to your dog's health.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What happens to my dog when a scorpion stings her?

    A:

    According to a specialist from the Arizona Poison and Drug Information Center, most dogs display only mild to moderate symptoms when stung by a scorpion. These symptoms include limping, head shaking and rubbing, pawing or licking the sting site.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What happens if a small dog eats chocolate?

    A:

    If a small dog eats chocolate, the small dog may experience symptoms such as an abnormal heartbeat, inflammation of the pancreas, vomiting, diarrhea and possibly even death, reports the Pet Poison Helpline. It is important to keep dogs away from all kinds of chocolate and to take any dog that has ingested chocolate in to its veterinarian immediately.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What happens to a dog if it eats chocolate?

    A:

    Dogs that eat chocolate can suffer from seizures, diarrhea, vomiting and in severe cases, death, as noted by WebMD. The chemical in chocolate, especially dark chocolate and baker's chocolate, is theobromine. A dog's digestive system does not process theobromine the way a human's does, leading to a toxicity buildup that can be fatal.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore