Q:

What happens when dogs eat Styrofoam?

A:

Styrofoam is not digestible and can get stuck in the dog's intestines, causing a blockage. If not treated, the blockage can kill the dog. Ingested Styrofoam can also cause damage to the intestines and other internal organs as it passes through the dog.

Small amounts of Styrofoam may pass through the dog without causing injury. Dogs who consume Styrofoam should be examined by a veterinarian to determine if the Styrofoam has lodged within the digestive tract or has caused damage to internal organs. Styrofoam can also cause choking, if a dog accidentally inhales some of it while trying to eat it.


Is this answer helpful?

Similar Questions

  • Q:

    What happens if a dog eats sand?

    A:

    Ingesting sand can lead to sand impaction, a medical condition where part of the intestines are blocked by the sand, explains a 2010 study in the Journal of Small Animal Practice. Vomiting is the most common side effect of sand impaction. Dogs may also lose their appetites, have abdominal pain or become lethargic. In rare or untreated cases, dogs can die from sand impaction.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Why do dogs get stuck together when they mate?

    A:

    Dogs get stuck together when mating because the male dog's penis swells inside the female dog's vagina, causing the two dogs to lock together in a breeding tie. The dogs remain locked together for two to 30 minutes until the bulbus glandis on the male's penis returns to normal size.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What causes projectile vomiting?

    A:

    According to class materials prepared by Colorado State University, a common cause of true projectile vomiting is the blockage of the exit from the stomach into the intestines. The most common cause for such a blockage is the ingestion of a large foreign object. The Mayo Clinic warns that rarely, in infants, a serious condition known as pyloric stenosis can also be a cause.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What happens to dogs if they drink alcohol?

    A:

    Dogs who drink even small amounts of alcohol will seem to be drunk; however, alcohol acts as a poison for dogs. Veterinarian Dr. Becky Lundgren on the Veterinary Information Network says pets who drink alcohol need to be diagnosed and treated quickly with activated charcoal to absorb the toxins and often IV therapy to maintain hydration.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore