Q:

What happens if a small dog eats chocolate?

A:

Quick Answer

If a small dog eats chocolate, the small dog may experience symptoms such as an abnormal heartbeat, inflammation of the pancreas, vomiting, diarrhea and possibly even death, reports the Pet Poison Helpline. It is important to keep dogs away from all kinds of chocolate and to take any dog that has ingested chocolate in to its veterinarian immediately.

  Know More

Full Answer

The best way to determine a dog's chances for survival is to see how much the dog has ingested. Dogs that ingest more than 0.5 ounces per pound of body weight and ingest more than 0.13 ounces per pound of dark or semi-sweet chocolate are at risk for severe chocolate poisoning.

Typical treatment for dogs who have ingested chocolate is to give them activated charcoal in repeated doses in order to decontaminate. The dog is also usually given IV fluids to help get rid of the toxins, as well as sedatives to calm the anxiety the pet feels as people are rushing around trying to help it. Sometimes anti-convulsants, heart medications and antacids are also given depending on the symptoms, writes the Pet Poison Helpline. The prognosis after treatment can range anywhere from excellent to poor, depending on whether or not the dog has had seizures or has collapsed.

Learn more about Dogs

Related Questions

  • Q:

    Is chocolate bad for dogs?

    A:

    Chocolate is bad for dogs and can cause serious issues such as vomiting and diarrhea when ingested in small amounts. When dogs ingest large amounts of chocolate, it can cause seizures, tremors, rapid heart rate, high blood pressure and death.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What should I expect after de-worming my dog?

    A:

    Dogs can experience side effects, such as vomiting and diarrhea, following a de-worming treatment. Some dogs experience muscle twitching or seizures after being treated for worms. Expect to follow up with additional de-worming treatments, such as a monthly preventative medication, throughout the dog's life.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What should you do if your dog eats chocolate?

    A:

    If your dog eats some chocolate, first determine how much and what kind of chocolate the dog ate, then observe the dog for symptoms and call a veterinarian. If the dog has a fever, breathing problems or seizures, take it to a veterinarian immediately.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    How much chocolate is safe for a dog to eat?

    A:

    One ounce of milk chocolate per pound of a dog's body weight is potentially fatal, according to WebMD. White chocolate, which contains little to no cocoa, is extremely low in the chemical theobromine, but even the trace amounts found in white chocolate should be avoided.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore