Q:

Are holly berries poisonous to dogs?

A:

Quick Answer

According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, holly berries are toxic to dogs, cats and horses, with a low toxicity. Holly leaves are also toxic.

Know More
Are holly berries poisonous to dogs?
Credit: Vicky Brock Flickr CC-BY-2.0

Full Answer

Holly berry poisoning produces the symptoms of diarrhea, vomiting and depression because of the toxic property of saponins. Hollies come from the Aquifoliaceae family, which includes inkberry, winterberry, European holly, Oregon holly and English holly. Any pet that has consumed or is thought to have consumed holly leaves and berries should be taken immediately to a veterinarian, or call the Poison Control Center to get advice for treating your pet.

Learn more about Dogs

Related Questions

  • Q:

    Are hibiscus plants poisonous to dogs?

    A:

    According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, the hibiscus plant is toxic to dogs, cats and horses. When consumed, the plant can cause vomiting, diarrhea and even nausea.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Is eucalyptus poisonous to dogs?

    A:

    According to the ASPCA, eucalyptus is toxic to dogs as well as to cats and horses. The dangerous component is the oil of the plant. Dogs that ingest toxic amounts of eucalyptus exhibit symptoms that include salivation, vomiting, diarrhea, depression and weakness.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are yew berries poisonous?

    A:

    While the flesh of the yew berry is not poisonous, the seeds contained inside the flesh are toxic. If the flesh of the berry is eaten without the seeds being chewed, the seeds pass through the body undigested without causing poisoning, explains The Poison Garden.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are acorns poisonous to dogs?

    A:

    Acorns are toxic to dogs, probably because of the tannic acid they contain. Eating acorns can damage a dog's liver and kidneys. Eating oak leaves and drinking water in which acorns or oak leaves have soaked can also poison a dog.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore