Q:

Is milk bad for dogs?

A:

Milk can be difficult to digest for some or most dogs. While it is not actually "bad" for them, their tolerance for milk is determined by their own body chemistry and its tolerance for lactose.

Although there is information in the market that suggests dogs should not consume any dairy whatsoever, the ability to easily digest dairy products actually varies from dog to dog, according to Dog Food Advisor. Typically, the lactose content in a food determines how easy or difficult it is for a dog to digest. Milk contains approximately 11 grams of lactose per cup, which is at the very top of the dairy products scale. If giving a dog dairy products, it is advisable to begin with lower-lactose foods such as cheese, sour cream or yogurt.

Learn More

Related Questions

  • Q:

    Is milk good for dogs?

    A:

    Milk is not good for dogs. Once dogs are weaned, their bodies cannot properly digest milk. Drinking milk can upset dogs' digestive tracts and give them diarrhea.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Can dogs eat cheese?

    A:

    Although cheese and other dairy products are difficult for dogs to digest and can cause diarrhea and digestive issues, cheese is not toxic to dogs. Dogs do not possess enough lactase, which helps break down dairy, making cheese a snack that should not be typically given to dogs.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are onions bad for dogs to eat?

    A:

    Onions can cause hemolytic anemia in dogs. Onions and related vegetables such as shallots and garlic contain sulfoxides and disulfides, compounds that damage oxygen-bearing red blood cells. This impairs the ability of the body to circulate oxygen and causes illness. Dogs and cats are particularly susceptible to the toxic effects.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are mushrooms bad for dogs?

    A:

    Not all mushrooms are toxic to dogs, though to be safe, dogs should not be permitted to eat them. Mushrooms are difficult to identify, so always assume the worst and bring a dog that has eaten mushrooms to the veterinarian immediately. Furthermore, the toxicity of a mushroom can be affected by the dog's underlying health.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore