Q:

Are paperwhites poisonous to dogs?

A:

Quick Answer

The paperwhite, also known as the daffodil or narcissus, is toxic to domestic dogs and many other mammal species, including humans. All parts of the plant contains a toxic alkaloid called lycorine. The bulbs are considered especially dangerous because they are easily confused with onions.

Know More
Are paperwhites poisonous to dogs?
Credit: Robert Simon E+ Getty Images

Full Answer

The alkaloid has a bitter taste and irritates the skin, creating a dermatological reaction known as lily rash. Symptoms of paperwhite poisoning include vomiting, excessive drooling and diarrhea, which progresses to trembling, convulsions and death if consumed in large quantities. The lethal dose for dogs is about 15 grams, or slightly less than ½ ounce of pure lycorine.


Is this answer helpful?

Similar Questions

  • Q:

    Are orchids poisonous to dogs?

    A:

    Most orchids are not poisonous to dogs, although eating them may upset the dog's stomach. The lady slipper orchid is an exception that may cause dermatitis if it comes in contact with a dog's skin.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are poinsettias poisonous to dogs?

    A:

    According to the ASPCA and the Pet Poison Helpline, poinsettias are rarely poisonous to dogs, and their toxicity is often overrated. The Pet Poison Helpline says that poinsettias may cause vomiting and drooling in dogs and, infrequently, diarrhea.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are hostas poisonous to dogs?

    A:

    Hostas, also called plantain lilies, are poisonous to dogs. Toxic effects occur when a dog chews or ingests the leaves, roots and flowers of the hosta.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are mums poisonous to dogs?

    A:

    According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), chrysanthemum plants, or mums, are poisonous to dogs. They may cause vomiting, diarrhea, clumsiness, increased salivation and skin inflammation. If a pet ingests mums, the ASPCA advises that a local veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center be contacted immediately.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore