According to WebMD, Pedialyte is safe for dogs when combined with an equal amount of water. Electrolyte solutions are commonly used when dogs have extended bouts of diarrhea.The K9 Thirst Quencher is a electrolyte solution designed specifically for dogs.Know More
WebMD indicates that some dogs do not like the flavor of electrolyte solutions, so plain water or water mixed with low-salt bouillon sometimes encourages a dog to drink. When a dog suddenly comes down with diarrhea, it is important to withhold food for 24 hours in order to rest the digestive system; this usually stops diarrhea.
WebMD lists potentially serious symptoms that sometimes accompany diarrhea, such as bloody or black stool, vomiting, fever, muscle weakness and depression. If any of these appear or if the diarrhea lasts for more than 24 hours, a veterinarian should be consulted.Learn more about Veterinary Health
According to AOL's Paw Nation, peanuts are safe for dogs in most cases, unless the dog has a peanut allergy. Peanut allergies can develop over time, so it is important for dog owners to contact their veterinarians immediately if their dogs have sudden bad reactions to peanuts or peanut products.Full Answer >
WebMD explains that electrolyte solutions such as Pedialyte must be diluted by one-half before giving to dogs to treat dehydration due to gastrointestinal problems. Add the diluted electrolyte solution to the dog's normal drinking bowl. There are also specially made electrolyte solutions that are safe for use in pets and are flavored to encourage the pet to drink.Full Answer >
Children under age 1 should not be given Pedialyte without a doctor's recommendation, advises the Pedialyte website. Children age 1 and older require an 8-ounce serving of Pedialyte every 1 to 4 hours as needed, resulting in a total daily amount of 32 to 64 ounces in a 24-hour period.Full Answer >
While toxic, the consumption of small amounts of silica gel tends to cause only minor indigestion in dogs, so veterinarian attention, while prudent, is not likely to be necessary. However, the consumption of multiple packets may lead to gastrointestinal obstruction. Small dog breeds and cats are especially prone to this reaction, owing more to the packets themselves than the silica gel inside.Full Answer >