Q:

Are pine trees poisonous to dogs?

A:

Quick Answer

There are certain types of pine trees that can cause digestive problems with dogs. There are still other varieties of pine trees that have caused death in cattle and other animals. A certian evergreen is potentially fatal to humans as well, while some pine trees are completely harmless.

Know More

Full Answer

The poisonous pine trees include the ponderosa pine, the needles of which contain a certain acid that can cause fetal loss in cattle and other animals. Other pines that cause this same problem are the lodgepole pine and the common juniper. The yew tree can also cause abdominal cramping, dizziness and rashes.

Learn more about Veterinary Health
Sources:

Related Questions

  • Q:

    Are acorns poisonous to dogs?

    A:

    Acorns are toxic to dogs, probably because of the tannic acid they contain. Eating acorns can damage a dog's liver and kidneys. Eating oak leaves and drinking water in which acorns or oak leaves have soaked can also poison a dog.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are pine cones toxic to dogs?

    A:

    Pine cones are not toxic to dogs, according to The Daily Puppy, but it is not a good idea to allow dogs to chew on them or eat them. Pine sap and pine needles are toxic to dogs, both of which may be present on pine cones.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Is Neosporin poisonous to dogs?

    A:

    Neosporin is a topical medication that is poisonous to dogs when ingested on a mild to severe level and dogs should be taken to a veterinary hospital if they ingest any amount of Neosporin. When looking for symptoms in the dog, it should be noted if he or she is drooling, has a loss of appetite, vomits, has diarrhea, is drinking too much, is urinating too much, has tremors or has seizures.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What foods are poisonous to dogs?

    A:

    Among the types of foods considered poisonous to dogs are chocolate, raw bread dough, fresh and dried grapes, macadamia nuts and onions. Alcohol and hops, certain types of mold in food and the non-caloric sweetener xylitol are also toxic to dogs.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore