Q:

Are praying mantises poisonous?

A:

Quick Answer

The praying mantis is not poisonous. Mantises tend to get a bad reputation due to their unusual physical and reproductive traits, but they are mostly harmless unless bothered.

Know More
Are praying mantises poisonous?
Credit: Steven Jay Photography CC-BY-2.0

Full Answer

Mantises are usually called "praying mantises" due to the way their forelimbs fold down. This trait is an attack posture that allows a mantis to quickly strike its prey with no prior movement. Mantises are known to practice sexual cannibalism. This means that the female mantis usually eats the male after mating, though this is not always the case, as some males manage to escape. Praying mantises have a natural camouflage that makes them difficult to detect.

Learn more about Bugs

Related Questions

  • Q:

    Can a praying mantis be kept as a pet?

    A:

    A praying mantis can be kept as a pet and is considered an easy pet to care for, especially for beginners, according to KeepingInsects.com There are over 2,000 praying mantis species and many, such as the African praying mantis, are available in the commercial pet trade.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are slugs poisonous?

    A:

    While slugs can contain parasites that are potentially harmful to the health of humans, they are rarely if ever poisonous. Slugs are invertebrates that are attracted to moist climates, such as those found in the Pacific Northwest.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are cockroaches poisonous?

    A:

    While cockroaches and their bites are not poisonous, allergens in their feces, saliva and body parts can trigger allergic reactions and asthma, especially in children. Statistics from the National Cooperative Inner-City Asthma Study estimate that 23 to 60 percent of urban populations are sensitive to cockroach allergens, as of 2014.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are centipedes poisonous?

    A:

    According to the Center for Disease Control, the common household centipede has a poisonous venom that is not considered toxic to most humans, though the bite is often painful. Smaller children and persons with bee sting allergies face potential anaphylactic shock if bitten by larger centipedes.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore