Q:

Are roses toxic to cats?

A:

Quick Answer

Some rose species are toxic to cats such as the desert rose, Christmas rose, Easter rose, China rose, rose of Sharon (hibiscus) and moss rose, while other rose species are non-toxic to cats such as the copper rose, dwarf rose-stripe star and the standard rose. The ASPCA offers a toxic and non-toxic plant list for concerned owners.

Know More

Full Answer

In addition to toxins in flowers and plants, there are many other toxic items for cats including human food. The Animal Poison Control Center warns cat owners that apricot, avocado, bread dough, caffeine, cherries, chocolate, garlic, grapes, macadamia nuts, mushrooms and onions are all toxic to pets. Pets who have ingested toxic plants or toxic food should be brought into their veterinarian immediately for treatment.

Learn more about Cats

Related Questions

  • Q:

    Are amaryllis plants toxic to cats?

    A:

    Also known as Naked Lady, Saint Joseph Lily and Cape Belladona, the amaryllis plant is toxic to both cats and dogs, according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. All species of the amaryllis plant are toxic if eaten by cats and can cause symptoms, such as vomiting, tremors, abdominal pain, diarrhea and depression. The bulbs of the amaryllis plant are very toxic and pose the greatest danger to cats.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are coleus plants poisonous to cats?

    A:

    Some coleus plants are toxic to cats, as well as dogs and horses. The plants contain an essential oil that can cause moderate to severe digestive problems when consumed.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Can cats eat olives?

    A:

    Olives are not toxic to cats, but have little nutritional value. Green olives and pimentos contain chemicals similar to those found in catnip, so some cats may be especially excited by olives.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Is hibiscus poisonous to cats?

    A:

    Hibiscus is poisonous to cats. A cat that ingests hibiscus experiences nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. It often refuses to eat, and it may even develop anorexia.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore