Q:

Are slugs harmful to dogs?

A:

Quick Answer

If they carry the parasite lungworm or have consumed slug bait, then land slugs can be harmful to dogs. Sea slugs, which are found in areas like New Zealand, contain the neurotoxin tetrodotoxin, which can also be toxic to dogs.

Know More

Are slugs harmful to dogs?
Credit: Ed Reschke Photolibrary Getty Images

Full Answer

Dry land slugs are actually harmless and nontoxic animals. Nevertheless, when a dog ingests slugs with lungworm, it can lead to a major infestation. If not treated promptly, an infestation can be fatal. Symptoms of a lungworm infection include respiratory problems, such as breathing difficulty and coughing. Other symptoms are weight loss, anemia, vomiting, seizures and vision loss. When diagnosed in its early stages, it is treatable. Severe infestations are more difficult to treat.

Likewise, slug bait can contain the ingredient metaldehyde, which is toxic for dogs. Eating slugs treated with this product can cause a dog to experience symptoms like drooling, vomiting, tremors, convulsions and agitation. Metaldehyde poisoning in dogs requires immediate treatment by a veterinarian, according to petmd.com.

Learn More

Related Questions

  • Q:

    Is calamine lotion harmful to dogs?

    A:

    If consumed, calamine lotion can be harmful for dogs, according to veterinarian Dr. Marie Haynes. Calamine lotion applied to a dog's itchy skin is easily licked off, and if consumed repeatedly, can be toxic for dogs.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Is cinnamon harmful to dogs?

    A:

    According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, cinnamon is not toxic to dogs. It is also safe for cats and horses.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Why do dogs sneeze when they are excited?

    A:

    Dogs sneeze when they are excited to communicate to their playmates that their interaction is just play, or simply to let another animal or human know that they want to play. The play sneeze, or excited sneeze, is a way for a dog to convey his intentions to those around it.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are hydrangeas poisonous to dogs?

    A:

    According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), certain parts of hydrangea plants are particularly toxic to dogs. The buds, flowers and leaves are highly toxic and, in extreme cases, can prove fatal.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore