Q:

Are spider plants poisonous to cats?

A:

Spider plants are not poisonous to cats, although sensitivity to the plant may cause an allergic reaction, such as skin irritations, according to the University of Connecticut's home and garden extension website. There are, however, many common household flowers and plants that are poisonous.

Know More

Full Answer

Many household plants, with the potential to poison a cat ,require ingesting copious amounts before any reaction occurs. Poisonous plants often taste bitter or have a pungent odor that repels the cat, before ingestion. Daffodil, mistletoe, Calla lilies, amaryllis, aloe vera and azaleas are common indoor and outdoor plants that are poisonous. Better choices for households with pets include African violets, geraniums, coleus, jade, impatiens and Boston fern.

Learn more in Cats

Related Questions

  • Q:

    Are roses poisonous to cats?

    A:

    Roses are not toxic to cats, according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA). However, Christmas roses, also known as hellebore, Lenten rose and Easter rose, are toxic when ingested by a cat.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are tulips poisonous to cats ?

    A:

    Although they are aesthetically pleasing, tulips are not pet-friendly and are mildly to moderately poisonous to cats. All parts of the tulip are poisonous, but most of the plant’s toxicity is in the bulb.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are poinsettias poisonous to cats?

    A:

    Poinsettias are considered mildly toxic to cats. However, their potential for harm is much less than that of other common ornamental plants associated with Christmas. Poinsettias, if ingested, can cause irritation of the mouth and digestive system, but there are no recorded reports of fatalities to cats from consuming them.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are lilacs poisonous to cats?

    A:

    Lilacs are not poisonous to cats. These plants, or shrubs, are popular in people's gardens and do no harm if pets lick or ingest them.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore