Q:

What is a teddy bear dog?

A:

A teddy bear dog is a breed that combines a shih tzu and either a bichon frise or a toy poodle. The teddy bear dog, so called because its appearance resembles that of a child's teddy bear, is a hybrid or mixed breed dog that's not recognized as a purebred.

Teddy bear dogs are typically small, weighing between 12 and 14 pounds. Although they don't tend to shed much, their fluffy coat requires daily brushing or it can become tangled. Teddy bear dogs are typically friendly, affectionate and playful. They enjoy being with their families and are good with children. They can easily develop separation anxiety if left alone too much.

Learn More

Related Questions

  • Q:

    How do I know if my dog has a kidney infection or not?

    A:

    The only way to know for sure whether or not a dog has a kidney infection is through a veterinary examination. According to the Merck Manual for Pet Health, symptoms that may indicate a kidney infection include pain in the sides, fever and a general sense that the dog is not well. Vomiting, reduced appetite, increased urination or thirst are other symptoms of a possible kidney infection.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What is a miniature Great Dane?

    A:

    A miniature Great Dane is simply a Great Dane that is smaller than average. The American Kennel Club and the Great Dane Club of America both recognize only one type of Great Dane, a dog standing a minimum of 30 inches high in males and 28 inches high in females.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Can dogs have milk safely?

    A:

    Milk and dairy are not toxic for dogs. However, dogs can be lactose intolerant and some may even be allergic to milk protein. Even in dogs that can digest lactose, large amounts of milk can cause intestinal distress and diarrhea.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are mushrooms bad for dogs?

    A:

    Not all mushrooms are toxic to dogs, though to be safe, dogs should not be permitted to eat them. Mushrooms are difficult to identify, so always assume the worst and bring a dog that has eaten mushrooms to the veterinarian immediately. Furthermore, the toxicity of a mushroom can be affected by the dog's underlying health.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore